Colleges and universities
Post-secondary choices include Medicine Hat College, Academy of Learning and Athabasca University distance learning.
Medicine Hat College
Medicine Hat College – and its satellite Brooks Campus – offers a wide range of Certificate, Diploma and Degree programs, including:
- Academic Upgrading/High School Completion
- English as a Second Language
- 1-Year Certificate Programs
- 2-Year Diploma Programs
- Apprentice Training Programs
- Applied Degree Programs
Program duration ranges from 1 to 3.5 years.
Medicine Hat College also works with Alberta Universities to offer several on-campus degree completion programs. In addition, the College has a variety of university transfer programs and formal transfer agreements with universities to meet the needs of all students.
Athabasca University is Canada's leading distance-education and online university, making it possible for students to earn a university education regardless of location. Programs are offered in a variety of fields ranging from Management to Human Sciences.
Academy of Learning
Academy of Learning is one of the fastest growing private career colleges in the world, with over 90 campuses across Canada and around the globe. The college specializes in computer applications, information technology, business skills, healthcare, and graphics/web design training, and prepares individuals to meet the increasing needs of the business community.
Links of Interest
Other career and employment resources available through Alberta Employment and Immigration include:
Skills development services
- Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (Medicine Hat) provides promotion and development for up to 50 recognized trades as well as on-going support and guidance to both employers and individuals interested in pursuing a career in the trades.
- Connections Career & Safety Services provides training in the area of Oil and Gas Class 1 Transportation, Oilfield Worker, and Safety Training.
- The Self-Employment Program, available in Medicine Hat and Brooks through Community Futures Entre-Corp Business Development, is designed for Albertans who are unemployed and in need of self-employment training to participate in the labour market.
- Big Country Community Adult Learning Association (Oyen 403-664-2060) is a resource for career, education and employment information.
- Absolute Safety Management (Brooks 403-362-1700) provides workplace health and safety training and job placement services for those aspiring to become employed in industrial settings such as Oil and Gas and Construction.
- Academy of Learning (Medicine Hat) offers training in job search and resume writing, job placement assistance to graduates, and training in Thought Patterns for a Successful Career.
- Brooks Campus Medicine Hat College provides College Preparation, University Transfer, Diploma and Certificate Programs, Adult Basic Education, and LPN course and English as a Second Language Classes.
- Alberta Learning Information Services (ALIS) is an on-line source of career, learning and employment information.
- Canadian Agricultural Skills Service (CASS) provides funding and practical assistance to farm families in order to direct them to a learning path that will lead to more opportunities.
Language assessment and training